Over four centuries ago a king faced a bitter defeat at the hands of his rivals. Frustrated and furious, the king decided to turn to ancient texts for advice on how to strengthen his navy. Thus, from then the age old tradition was born the Chundan Vallam or the snake-boat of Kerala.
These snake hooded shaped boats are built according to the specifications of the Sthapathya Veda, an ancient treatise for the building of wooden boats, the Chundan Vallam is an excellent example of ancient Kerala’s prowess in naval architecture. A typical Chundan Vallam is 138 ft long and can accommodate more than 100 oarsmen.
Dating Back to an era of King Devanarayana of Chembakassery, the grace of the snake boats made it the pride of the people. Years later the boats continued to play a major partin the lives of the peoplewho used the boats for boat races.
For boat races, two men stand in the central portion of the Chundan Vallam, previously this was once used to position the canon and beat the fire platforms with poles. The men sang along in rythm as they rowed. While the strongest oarsmen occupy the bow portion, the stern is manned by six well-built Amarackars (helmsmen) maintaining a standing posture and help to steer the boat. The person at the highest point of the boat is the chief oarsman.
Today, every snake boat represents a village and the boat races have today become an i ntegral part of the cultural identity of the land.
The largest team sport in the world, the Chundan Vallamkali or the snake boat race are of two types. One is the competitive type like the Nehru Trophy Boat Race and the other is the ritualistic type, like the Aranmula Boat Race. While the former is a blend of fun, frolic and passionate competition the latter has more to do with devotion, rituals and prayers. Palliyodams are Aranmula's unique snake boats. Devotees of Aranmula Parthasarathy Temple regard it as the divine vessel of the deity.
The backwaters are soothing and the gentle breeze, caressing. But, when the snake-boats slide onto the placid waters for a race and the oars are set in motion, the gentle backwaters transform into a blazing racetrack.
Day 01 : Arrival at Cochin
Day 02: Cochin - Alleppey (1 hr 30 min / 54 kms)
Day 03 : Alleppey Sightseeing
Day 04 : Alleppey - Munnar (4 hrs 50 min / 170 kms)
Day 05 : Munnar Sightseeing
Day 06 : Departure
• Accommodation for 01 night in Cochin
• Accommodation for 02 nights in Alleppey
• Accommodations for 02 nights in Munnar
• 5 Breakfast
• Transportation for 5 days
• Airport pick up and drop
• Entrance fees at the monuments, national park
• Meals not specified above
• Expenses of personal nature such as laundry, telephone calls, drinks, tipping etc
• Any kind of insurance
• Anything not mentioned in the itinerary
•Any increase in the govt. taxes and state taxes
1] There is no contract between the Company and the Client until the Company has received the full payment.
2] The Company has the right at any time and for any reason:
• To cancel the contract prior to the date of departure and if it does so, its liability shall be limited to refunding all monies paid by the Client without payment of any interest.
• To amend, alter, vary or withdraw any tour, adventure activity, holiday, excursion or facility, it has advertised or published or to substitute an independent contractor (including hotel) of similar class if it is deemed advisable or necessary. In either case, the Company shall not be liable for any damage, additional expense or consequential loss suffered by the clients or for any compensation claim.
3] Asian Adventures cannot be responsible for any improper services provided by any agency, Airline, Transport, Hotel, any provider of services including guides, for any injury, death, loss or damage which is caused by the act or default of the management or employees of any Hotelier, Airline, Shipping Company, Coach owner/Coach Operator who are the Company’s independent Contractor arising outside our normal selection and inspection process or acts of Government authority, wars, civil/political disturbances, natural calamities (landslides, floods, earthquakes etc.), strikes, bandh or any delay or changes of itinerary including extra expenses which the Client may incur as a result of any of the foregoing causes.
4] The Company shall in no circumstances whatsoever be liable to the client or any person travelling with him for: • Any death, personal injury, sickness, accident, loss, delay, discomfort, increased expenses, consequential loss, and/or damage or any misadventure howsoever caused. • Any act, omission, default of any independent contractor, hotelier or other person or by any servant or agent employed by them who may be engaged or concerned in the provision of accommodation, refreshment, transport or service for the client or for any person travelling with him howsoever caused. • The temporary or permanent loss of or damage to baggage or personal effects howsoever caused. In this condition the expression "howsoever caused" includes negligence on the part of any person.
5] No liability on the part of the Company arising in any way out of this contract in respect of any tour, holiday, excursion facility shall exceed the total amount paid or agreed to be paid for the holiday tour, and shall in no case include any consequential loss or additional expense whatsoever.
6] The prices quoted in the itineraries have been calculated at the rate prevailing at the time of sending you the quote. The Company reserves the right to amend the prices quoted to you in its itineraries in case of currency fluctuations, increase in cost of fuel, changes in current tax structure, ticket cost increases, transport cost increases due to change of route necessitated by factors beyond our control, before the date of departure or even during the tour and to surcharge accordingly. Whenever applicable all such increases must be paid in full before departure. This holds good for increase in costs by independent contractors.
7] For the comfort and convenience of our passengers, we will sometimes reverse the direction or slightly amend the itinerary. We will try and advise you of these amendments prior to the start of the tour or on the tour.
8] Any additional stay in the hotel will be on clients’ account.
9] Vouchers once issued are non-refundable.
10] CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS: Notice of cancellation must be made in writing directly to Asian Adventures. The charges which will apply are those shown below: • Number of days before tour commencement Cancellation charge as % of total price
• More than 45 days: 25% or deposit paid for package cost *
• 45-30 days: 50% of the package cost
• 29-20 days: 75% of the package cost
• 19 days and below including no-show: 100% of the package cost
* Whichever is greater No refund will be made after our tour has commenced or in respect of any tours, transfers and accommodation or any other services not utilised. Important The Indian Government has the right to revise any park entrance fees at any time and on such occasions, the prices quoted may be subject to change, as we do not have such a margin that will absorb these cost differences. This will also apply if the Government announces any increase in taxes or airfares. BEFORE FILLING THIS FORM, PLEASE CUT & PASTE THE TEXT & TABLE GIVEN BELOW ON PLAIN PAPER I, am aware that during OUTDOOR PROGRAMMES AND ADVENTURE which I am carrying out under the arrangements of ‘Asian Adventures’ and their associates, certain risks and dangers may occur, including but not limited to the hazards of travelling on the river, land, travel by air, train and automobile, accident or illness in remote areas without medical facilities, the forces of nature, political disturbances or violence, riots and bandhs / strikes. In consideration of and as part of payment for the right to participate in such OUTDOOR activities which may include hiking /trekking, rafting, rappelling, river crossing & vehicle or river or animal safari / ride etc. arranged for me by ‘Asian Adventures’, I have and so hereby assume all of the above mentioned risks and have remised, released and forever discharged ‘Asian Adventures’, its successors, agents, employees assigned of, and from, any / all liability, action, cause of action, debts, claims and demands of every kind and nature whatsoever, which I now have or which may arise of or in connection with my trip or participation in any other activities arranged for me by ‘Asian Adventures’. The terms here of shall serve as an assumption of risk and release for all members of my family, including any minors, accompanying me. In witness whereof I have executed this assumption of risk and release this day of